THE BUILDING AND CHIMNEY
A history of the City Destructor Complex.
The historic building in which our restaurant is located and the chimney outside are the only surviving elements of Adelaide’s once busy City Destructor Complex. Established in 1909, it exemplified a maxim of that time, ‘waste not, want not.’
The chimney and the disinfector building are a small part of the former Adelaide complex, which once comprised a refuse Destructor, a tin bailing press, clinker paver mill, a brewery, flour mill and biscuit factory, mortar mill, boot and vinegar factories and a flag making plant. Unsurprisingly, at that time, a restaurant on the site was not on the horizon!